A few years ago we launched our FREE vegan online course Breakfast and Brunch Classics, and with it, the fluffiest most delicious vegan buttermilk pancake recipe. Since then, so many of you have requested a gluten free version of these pancakes but you've specifically asked that none of the fluffiness is lost. Tall order! Also... challenge accepted! Since we have a few students with celiac disease I thought I'd give it a whirl.
I tested and tested the recipe, with different gluten free flours, different egg replacers for pancakes, and I think that finally, this recipe, is just as delicious as its gluten-full counterpart.
Buckwheat, although the name is quite confusing, isn't actually from the wheat family and isn't even a cereal. Similar to quinoa, it is a grain-like seed and is considered a pseudo cereal, making its flour a perfect gluten free alternative and one of my favorites to work with.
Buckwheat contains protein, calcium, magnesium and iron, and is also a powerful source of B vitamins. It also has a unique taste that I personally love when using it in pancakes.
Get, ready! These are fluffy, sweet, pillowy, and perfect when served as a stack.
Enjoy the video, printable recipe and written recipe below!
FLUFFY VEGAN AND GLUTEN FREE BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES
Yield: 8 pancakes | Prep time: 15 minutes | Resting time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 & 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 & 1/4 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspooon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons melted non-dairy butter
- 2 & 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- A bit of spray oil for the griddle or pan (or brush some additional non-dairy butter or oil
- Your favorite berries, maple syrup and non-dairy butter if desired
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseeds and water and let it sit for about 5 minutes to form a gel.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar and set it aside.
3. In a lage bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
4. Once your flaxseed gel has formed, combine the buttermilk, flax gel, melted non- dairy butter, vanilla, maple syrup and applesauce and whisk until well combined. Fold this mixture into your dry ingredients and mix until no loose flour remains.
5. Place the batter in the fridge for 10 minutes.
6. Heat an electric griddle or one or two pans on high and add a bit of oil to prevent sticking. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, pour the batter to form your pancakes, and then immediately lower the heat to medium.
7. Once the pancakes are golden on the bottom side, and you see the batter form bubbles or turn slightly opaque, flip the pancakes to get them golden on the second side.
8. Serve your pancakes topped with berries and additional maple syrup or the topping of your choice and enjoy!
You might also like...
Our Program and Courses
Don't miss our weekly goodies!
Our best FREE content straight to your inbox