If you've been a reader of our blog or a listener of our podcast you know how much I love feeding people. I'm always on the hunt for great vegan recipes for entertaining that I can make ahead of time and just warm up when my guests arrive. It's also a plus if they're handheld, easy to pass around at a party and if they have something fun like a dip to go with them. This vegan and gluten free recipe for smashed potatoes with a creamy green goddess dressing checks all those boxes for me.
I also love it as a recipe to serve to omnivore friends and family because who doesn't love a good crispy potato?!
Potatoes are heaven, and a smashed potato is the perfect combination of a crispy exterior with all that satisfying crunch, and a soft pillowy interior.
Although I love it as a party food or a simple vegan appetizer, both components are perfect for batch cooking days as well, and you can serve them in different ways throughout the week.
They are also delicious as breakfast potatoes for a yummy vegan brunch (which you can also make the night before and just re-heat in the morning).
Without further ado, here's the recipe, printable and video so you can make some at home.
SMASHED POTATOES WITH A GREEN GODDESS DRESSING FOR DIPPING
Yield: 4-5 servings | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour (mostly unattended)
- 2 - 2.2 lbs (1 Kg) small potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more for cooking the potatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili flakes (or a bit less if using chipotle powder)
- Spray oil (or olive oil for brushing)
For the dressing:
- 1 cup fresh herbs (I use a combination of parsley, cilantro and chives)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (boiled in water for 12 minutes if you don't have a high speed blender)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the salt, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and chipotle flakes.
3. Pre-heat the oven at 425ºF (218ºC) and grab a large roasting pan or baking sheet and spray some oil on the surface.
4. Start smashing your potatoes one at a time in the pan with the bottom of a water glass or a potato masher, and place them so they have a bit of space around them and they don't overlap.
5. Add some spray oil (or brush the oil) over the smashed potatoes and sprinkle with a bit of the spice mix so that every potato has some.
6. Roast in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, add a bit more spray oil and cook for 25-30 more minutes or until the potatoes are very crispy (you'll need to do this in batches if making a lot, and you can do this all ahead of time and then re-crisp right before serving).
7. While you're roasting the potatoes, make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a blender and blending until you have a creamy sauce. Set aside.
8. Once the potatoes are crispy you can serve them alongside your sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
Instructions for re-heating/re-crisping:
Place the already roasted potatoes in a parchment lined baking sheet, add a bit of spray oil and place in a pre-heated oven with the broiler setting on 425oF (218oC) and broil until re-crisped (about 5-7 minutes).
You might also like...
Our Program and Courses
Don't miss our weekly goodies!
Our best FREE content straight to your inbox