I grew up on cream of tomato soup and perfect grilled cheese sandwiches for dipping. It's the perfect combination of a velvety soup, crusty sourdough bread and melted cheese, and today we're taking it to the next level by roasting tomatoes, garlic and herbs, blending them up with creamy cashews, and making perfect vegan apple grilled cheese sandwiches.
What I love about this recipe is that by using cashews to cream up the soup, it also turns it bright orange, making it a perfect surprising twist for Halloween, Thanksgiving or a fall gathering. It looks like pumpkin soup, but when you dig in, it's all the tanginess and deliciousness of roasted tomato soup and grilled cheese, so if you've been looking for a delicious vegan grilled cheese and tomato soup recipe you have arrived!
For the bread I love a good sourdough, and for the cheese I used Violife original flavor and mozzarella shreds, but any vegan cheese that melts will do (or learn how to make delicious melty mozzarella at home in our online vegan cheesemaking course Melt!).
I hope you love the video, printable and recipe below!
VEGAN TOMATO SOUP AND APPLE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES
Yield: 4 servings ⎮ Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes
- 12 red pear tomatoes or vine tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and left whole
- A few sprigs of thyme
- A drizzle of olive oil for the pan
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, previously soaked in water for a few hours or boiled in water for 12 minutes (add them without soaking or boiling if you have a high speed blender)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional for topping: Our cashew sour cream or non-dairy yogurt and chopped chives
For the sandwiches:
- 2 fuji apples peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy butter + a bit extra for the bread
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 slices of your favorite bread (my favorite for these is sourdough)
- 2 cups grated vegan cheese that melts or 2-3 slices per sandwich
1. Pre-heat the oven at 400ºF (205ºC).
2. Cut the tomatoes in half and place them in an oven-proof pan along with the peeled garlic cloves, thyme and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss everything to coat. Roast in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes, tossing halfway through.
3. While the tomatoes are roasting, melt the non-dairy butter in a small pan and add the apples. Cover the pan with a lid and let the apples cook, tossing occasionally for 10 minutes or until softened. Add some freshly ground pepper.
4. Assemble your sandwiches by adding a bit of non-dairy butter on a slice of bread, add the cheese, add some of the apples, top with another slice of bread and butter the top of the bread. Repeat until you have four sandwiches.
5. Place them in a pan, buttered side down on medium-high heat and press down with a spatula. Add a bit of non-dairy butter over the top bread and flip once golden on the bottom. Grill your sandwiches until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted (cover the pan with a lid if you want to speed up the melting of the cheese).
6. Once the tomatoes are roasted, add all the vegetables and juices from the pan to a blender. Add the cashews (drained if you had to soak or boil them). Blend until you have a creamy soup.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning by adding more salt and pepper if needed and serve hot, next to your grilled cheese sandwiches. Enjoy!
You might also like...
Our Program and Courses
Don't miss our weekly goodies!
Our best FREE content straight to your inbox