A Delicious Vegan Appetizer: Cheesy Mushroom, Onion and Artichoke Rolls (+ Easy Vegan Artichoke Dip Recipe)Sep 24, 2022
Today's recipe is a two for one if you're looking for delicious and easy vegan party foods or appetizers that can be passed around at a gathering.
These cheesy rolls have the most flavorful filling made with mushrooms, charred onions, and the easiest vegan artichoke dip that can also be served on its own next to a delicious crudités platter, with chips, bread or crackers.
The rolls are made with store-bought puff pastry that will puff up and become flaky and golden in the oven (most store-bought puff pastry is vegan by default but always check the ingredients label), and to top things off we're adding a delicious topping of vegan parmesan style cheese that will get crispy in the oven, plus some extra as a topping when serving.
I recommend using the crackle cheese from our course Melt, or my favorite store-bought brand (no affiliation!), the Violife Prosociano wedge.
The beauty of this vegan canape is that you can make a ton of the rolls in advance, and simply re-heat in the oven right before serving, leaving you with more free time to spend with loved ones.
You can make these into mini versions as well for a plant-based, bite-sized appetizer for a party, or serve these as shown in the video. I happen to love them next to a fresh green salad for a different and easy vegan lunch idea as well.
Enjoy the video, printable recipe and written recipe below!
CHEESY MUSHROOM, ONION AND ARTICHOKE ROLLS (+ EASY VEGAN ARTICHOKE DIP)
Yield: 12 rolls ⎮ Prep time: 15-20 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes (15 for charring the vegetables, 30 for baking (mostly unattended) | Resting time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup firm silken tofu
- 1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 handfuls of fresh parsley
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 8 button mushrooms, chopped
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 rectangular sheet of vegan store-bought puff pastry
- Grated sharp vegan cheese like a Parmesan style wedge (I love this wedge by Violife) or the crackle cheese from our course Melt
1. To a food processor, add the silken tofu, artichoke hearts, nutritional yeast, the 3/4 teaspoon salt and the parsley. Pulse until you have a spreadable consistency that still has some chunks and texture. Set aside (or use as a dip if not making the full recipe!).
2. Heat a pan on high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil, add the diced onions and let them cook until they have a deep brown color, adding more olive oil if the pan seems too dry.
3. While the onions cook, pre-heat your oven to 350ºF (180ºC) and prepare a 12 piece cupcake pan by spraying or brushing some oil in each space.
4. Add the mushrooms and continue sautéing until you have a nice char on all the vegetables. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Open up the sheet of puff pastry over parchment paper and spread the artichoke dip mixture on it, leaving one end of the longer side empty.
6. Scatter the charred vegetables over the dip so they're evenly distributed and roll the pastry several times towards the end with no dip and close the seam.
7. Cut the long roll in half, then each half in half again, and each of those pieces into 3 to form 12 pieces.
8. Carefully transfer them into each of the spaces of the cupcake pan with the flat side looking up (you'll see the swirl of the roll on the inside, not the smooth puff pastry.
9. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and grate some of the vegan cheese over each roll. Return to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes until the cheese is golden.
10. Let rest for 5 minutes to firm up and serve topped with freshly grated vegan parmesan style cheese or our crackle cheese! You can also make these in advance and re-heat as needed:
Re-heating instructions: Toast in a pre-heated 435ºF (225ºC) oven for 10 minutes or until the puff pastry has gone from soft to crispy again. Let rest for 5 minutes.
You might also like...
Our Program and Courses
Don't miss our weekly goodies!
Our best FREE content straight to your inbox