I love this recipe because you get 3 staples for the "price" of one which you can serve up as an irresistible vegan sandwich, or as part of different meals. A smoky homemade bourbon barbecue sauce coats perfectly shredded steamed jackfruit (a great plant-based alternative to pulled pork), and is served inside a bun topped with a thinly shredded coleslaw that is crunchy, colorful and the perfect complement to this meal.
You can serve the jackfruit as part of a wrap or veggie bowls as well, or serve the bbq sauce over tofu or tempeh before grilling them, and the coleslaw is delicious as a side salad or topping for any meal.
If you've never cooked with jackfruit before, you'll want to find cans of young green jackfruit packed in brine, and steaming the chunky triangles will help you shred them into the perfect texture.
I hope you love this delicious triple recipe, perfect if you love a good, hearty vegan barbecue jackfruit sandwich.
Enjoy the video, printable and written recipe below!
Yield: 4 sandwiches | Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
For the pulled jackfruit:
- 2 cans (10 oz drained content / 280 gr each) of young green jackfruit packed in brine, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the slaw and assembly:
- 1 cup thinly shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly shredded purple cabbage
- 1 tablespoon eggless mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 buns or the bread of your choice, spread with a bit of non-dairy butter and lightly toasted (if desired)
1. Place the jackfruit pieces in a steamer basket with a tight fitting lid, over a pot with plenty of water and bring the water up to a boil. Let the jackfruit steam for 30 minutes, making sure from time to time that there is still enough water in the bottom pot.
2. Whisk together the barbecue sauce, balsamic vinegar, bourbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, garlic clove, salt and pepper in a pot and bring it up to a boil.
3. Lower the heat to medium and let the sauce cook and reduce, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
4. While the jackfruit continues to steam, whisk together the eggless mayonnaise, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and toss the cabbage with this dressing. Massage it into the cababge slightly and let it rest until the rest of your components are ready.
5. Once the jackfruit has finished steaming, place it on a large cutting board and using 2 forks, shred the jackfruit into strips.
6. Add the jackfruit to the pot with the sauce and mix, making sure all the jackfruit is coated with the sauce.
7. Toast your buns if desired, then serve by filling them with lots of the jackfruit with the slaw on top, and topping with the top bun. Enjoy!
You might also like...
Our Program and Courses
Don't miss our weekly goodies!
Our best FREE content straight to your inbox