Today we're cooking up yet another delicious quick fix that is full of color, nutrients, protein, beautiful greens and the best part, it's so easy and quick to make it's sure to start making a weekly appearance in your kitchen.
Just in case you're new to our quick fix recipes, this is your opportunity to hone your "cooking by instinct" skills, since we give you step by step instructions but no measured amounts! Don't worry, I know many of you prefer to follow an exact recipe and we've got so many of those here, but when people ask me what they can start doing today to really improve their cooking, I always mention cooking by instinct.
If you've ever made a dish and added a pinch of this or a sprinkle of that, tasted, adjusted, and got creative by adding something you felt was missing, then you've cooked by instinct.
Today's video is perfect to get started with this style of cooking because there's almost no way to mess this one up. Plus, you'll get familiar with a dish in a completely different way, and you'll be able to repeat it hundreds of times without even having to look up the ingredients. I love it when a dish allows for this. It's perfect for busy weekdays.
Let's get to it shall we? Enjoy your video, recipe and printable below!
SOUTHWESTERN KALE AND BLACK BEAN BOWL WITH SWEET POTATOES
- Sweet potatoes
- A drizzle of high heat oil for roasting and sautéing (optional)
- Kale (or your favorite leafy green), cut into bite sized pieces
- Onion strips
- Bell pepper strips
- Cooked black beans (drain and rinse them if using canned)
- A squeeze of lemon
- Sea salt and pepper
- Your favorite hot sauce for serving
Quick and Easy Directions
- Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF (205ºC) with the broiler setting on. Place the oven rack higher to the top of the oven.
- Cut your sweet potato into cubes and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle a bit of high heat oil (optional) and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Place the tray under the broiler for 20-25 minutes until slightly golden and tender.
- Heat a pan on high heat and add a drizzle of the oil if using.
- Sauté the onions and peppers with a pinch of sea salt until the onions are translucent.
- Add the kale and sauté until it’s vibrant green tossing frequently.
- Add the black beans and toss.
- Add a squeeze of lemon, some cumin, sea salt and pepper, toss, and let the flavors come together. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the mixture in a bowl, top with some of the roasted sweet potato cubes, add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce (my favorite is chipotle hot sauce) and enjoy!
You might also like...
Our Program and Courses
Don't miss our weekly goodies!
Our best FREE content straight to your inbox